Chapter 22. Purchasing
Section 22.2. Placing an Order
22.2.4. Purchase Requisitions
Purchase Requisition: A form used by a department to order materials, supplies, equipment, and services from vendors, which is forwarded to the Purchasing Department for processing.
The University observes a uniform procedure for the purchase of materials, services, equipment, and other supplies from vendors. Departments may obtain purchase requisition forms from the Purchasing Department or from the Web site http://www.admin.mtu.edu/pur/forms/.
The Purchasing Department performs all purchasing activities and related operations with the following exceptions:
- Authorized petty cash purchases.
- Purchasing Card purchases.
- The director of the University Library places orders for books, magazines, periodicals, and subscriptions for the University Library.
- Foodstuffs and items for resale by Auxiliary Services.
Departments are strongly urged to use petty cash and the purchasing card whenever possible.
To order supplies, equipment, or services for a department, do the following:
- Prepare a (paper) Purchase Requisition, available from the Purchasing Department or the Web site http://www.admin.mtu.edu/pur/forms/. The requisition must include the following:
- suggested vendor
- transaction date
- deliver by date
- name of the requestor
- phone number of the requestor
- organization name
- ship to code
- commodity code (see the Commodity Codes list for codes)
- commodity description/item description
- unit price
- line total
- grand total
- accounting data
- appropriate approval(s)
NOTE: Those departments who are authorized and trained in Banner must enter their requisitions electronically. For additional information on processing Banner requisitions, refer to the End User chapter in the Banner Finance System manual entitled, Creating a Purchase Requisition.
Attach any available documentary information to the Purchase Requisition that will assist the purchasing agent in evaluating the request.
Forward the completed Purchase Requisition to the Purchasing Department.
Receive the pink copy of the Purchase Order from the Purchasing Department, forward a copy to the requisitioner, and file the pink copy for reference.
Wait for the order to come in and follow the receiving procedures. See section 22.7. Receiving Orders.
Chapter Table of Contents | Table of Contents | Search | MTU Home
Copyright © 2002. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Address questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.