The University Senate of Michigan Technological University
PROPOSAL 6- 14
(Voting Units: Academic)
“Proposal to Amend Senate Policy 102.1: Policy on Class Attendance”
This policy has been updated to reflect changes in technology and communication as well as editorial clarifications regarding the process of evaluating and approving absences.
· Attending class is essential for academic success. The University expects students to attend all scheduled class times unless an absence is excused under this policy.
· Categories of University excused absences:
involving varsity athletes representing the University in an
official capacity and other students participating in a University sanctioned
event. These include
athletics; fine arts performances; program-sponsored competitions
and program-sponsored field
trips; University sponsored off campus job fairs; and similar official
students represent the University in an official capacity.
instructor or staff supervising students participating in these events must
provide notice to the students’ instructors and the Dean of Students Office
prior to the date of the activity. The notice must include the name of the
activity, the date(s) of class absence, the name of the supervising instructor
or staff, and the names of all participating students.
student participation is ad hoc as in job fairs, supervisors must send notices
immediately after the activity to all academic departments and to the Dean of
involving legitimate extenuating circumstances beyond a student’s control. These include student illness or injury that
prevents a student from participating in class; death or critical illness of a
family member; birth of a child; military duty; jury duty or subpoena for court
s; and similar serious extenuating circumstances.
· If a student’s absence causes the student to miss an assignment, examination or other graded requirement of the class, the instructor may require the student to provide documentation verifying the cause of the absence. The student may provide the documentation to the instructor or to the Dean of Students Office.
· Instructors retain the discretion to excuse student absences for reasons other than those described in the above paragraphs.
· Students are responsible for notifying their instructors prior to missing a class and arranging a mutually-acceptable make-up procedure. In emergency situations, where students are unable to notify their instructors, students should promptly contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance.
· Students with an excused absence will be allowed to make up missing assignments or equivalent work. Any course-specific consequences for excessive absences should be described in the instructor’s syllabus.
· Instructors concerned with a student’s excessive absence should contact the Dean of Students Office for advice and assistance.
· The Dean of Students Office may be contacted by an instructor or a student for assistance in informally resolving any disputes under this policy. If a dispute cannot be resolved informally, the student may follow the Student Academic Grievance policy.
Introduced to Senate: 20 November 2013
Approved by Senate: 11 December 2013
Approved by Administration: 17 December 2013