The University Senate

of Michigan Technological University


Minutes of Meeting 503

2 March 2011



The Senate

·         Proposal 14-11 passed

·         Proposal 15-11 passed

·         Proposal 16-11 passed


1. Call to order and roll call. President Rudy Luck called the University Senate Meeting 503 to order at 5:30 pm on Wednesday, March 2, 2011. The Senate Secretary Marty Thompson called roll. Absent were representatives of Army/Air Force ROTC, Biological Sciences, Materials Science and Engineering, Mathematical Sciences, Physics, Visual and Performing Arts, Academic Services A and B, Auxiliaries and Cultural Enrichment, Admissions, Advancement, IT, Graduate Student Government and Staff Council.


2. Recognition of visitors. Guests included Max Seel (Provost Office), Jackie Huntoon (Graduate School) and Bruce Seely (College of Sciences and Arts).


3. Approval of agenda. Luck asked if there were any changes; there being none Luck called for a vote; the agenda passed unanimously on a voice vote.


4. Approval of minutes from Meeting 502.  Luck asked if there were any changes; there being none Luck declared the minutes stood approved.


5. Report from the Senate President

Luck noted past and future Board of Control presentations can be found online. He updated the senate on administration’s approval of proposals 8-11 thru 13-11. Luck added that the administration was in the process of reviewing proposals 5-11 and 6-11. Administrative changes will be made available to allow the 10-day review and voted on during the next meeting. Gierke asked what the major issues under consideration by the administration were. Luck reiterated the general content of each proposal. He noted that item number 8 in proposal 5-11 detailed what should be contained in charters. Regarding proposal 6-11, issues included, criteria for requesting an ad hoc chair evaluation, a major review of the chair to take place in year five and preferring the search be referred to as open and not international. Luck noted that omitting a dean’s ability to put people on chair search committees was an oversight that has been rectified. He added that a statement of confidentiality of the search process will be introduced. Barkdoll asked when the changed proposals will come back to the senate. Luck noted the complexity of discerning the two versions of these documents. The senate will be given the appropriate 10 day review period and the new proposals will be voted on. Luck noted that senate officer elections are coming up and requested senators to consider running for a position. He added that senators vacating positions need to find a replacement from their unit. Luck stressed the importance of doing so in order to fill committees. He displayed the eligibility and processes associated with running for senate officer.


6. Report from Senate Standing Committees

Onder. Elections Committee, thanked senators for making committee nominations and noted the committees that still need members, including the Sabbatical Leave Committee, Faculty Review Committee, Faculty Distinguished Awards Committee.


Kangas, Institutional Planning Committee, said the parking consultant Carl Walker will be conducting a campus forum, meeting with stakeholders and a tentative plan for making a presentation at the senate meeting on March 23rd.


Caneba, Administrative Policy Committee, said the committee asked the president for his statement for inclusion in the survey. He added that the president submitted a different set of questions to substitute for the four questions from last year. Caneba noted the other questions would remain unchanged. He added there were new questions pertaining to the executive team and the performance of the individual team members. He noted the vice-president evaluations have not been performed each four years. He concluded by noting that the committee will be coordinating with IT to get the survey setup and online. Luck confirmed that the survey will be available after spring break. Caneba confirmed and noted that the results would be presented at the April 6th senate meeting


7. Old Business

Proposal 14-11: “Proposal for an Undergraduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages” presented by Curricular Policy Committee

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee (CPC), described this certificate as requiring new classes in sequence. He added this proposal has the support of the committee. Breffle, Finance Committee (FC), said he was not clear on the opinion of the FC. Seel noted the chair of the Humanities Department submitted the financial info to the FC. He quoted an email from Mullins, noting the format of the financial information was not in compliance, but the data provided did not raise any problems. Seel noted the binder changes for the new courses in humanities are already being taught. Seel, citing a prior conversation, declared that Mike said he has no problem with the proposal. He added that the proposal 51-04 refers to degrees not certificates. Herbig confirmed Seel’s interpretation of the content of Mullin’s email noting that the existing courses are bundled into a certificate. He added the FC is concerned about the review process being bypassed by course introductions via the binder. Luck noted that it was unlikely a department would deviously introduce new courses through the binder only to develop degree programs in later years, thereby avoiding the perception of additional costs associated with the new degree program. He added that the financial data provided was incomplete and poorly organized, but the committee was not against the proposal. Seel noted the concern for cost containment and the difficult job of the FC. He noted that through the most recent binder process 160 courses were added and 126 dropped, accounting for about six percent of the 2460 courses currently listed. Seel concluded by stating the deans and chairs treat the binder process very seriously and it is an ongoing process. Storer stated that in previous years the CPC reviewed proposals and if financial questions arose would request a review from the FC. He added that the FC became uncomfortable acting as the filter for new degree programs and so the committees agreed that the FC would review all proposals for new programs. Storer noted that currently the CPC does not look at financial information because the FC does that. He added that to expedite the process the CPC should be provided the financial data so they can provide feedback to the submitting department if necessary. Storer concluded by reiterating from his discussions with the FC chair that he was in support of the proposal Hamlin moved to vote on the proposal; Barkdoll seconded the motion. Luck asked for further discussion; there being none, he called for a voice vote. The proposal passed unanimously on a voice vote.


Proposal 15-11: “Concentration/Options Within Degree Programs” presented by Curricular Policy Committee

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee, described the goal of the proposal as clarifying what concentrations or options are within degree programs and to differentiate between focus and technical areas of emphasis. Two friendly amendments: the title will be changed to index more easily and a textual change within the document. Hamlin asked about CPC support. Storer said it has the support of the committee. Luck asked for further discussion; there being none, he asked for a motion to approve. Hamlin motioned to approve the proposal; Onder seconded; it passed unanimously on a voice vote.


Proposal 16-11: “Proposal for an Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate: The International Profile Certificate” presented by Curricular Policy Committee

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee, noted this proposal has the support of the CPC. He added the goal is to recognize advance study in any field for students with advanced international perspectives. Storer asked for FC support. Breffle confirmed FC support. The new course proposed is a one credit seminar. This proposal has approval from relevant deans and chairs for the new course. Storer noted a friendly amendment from modern languages faculty. Seigel provided an updated list of classes and proposed changes to the advanced placement exam requirements. Onder motioned to approve the proposal; Hamlin seconded; it passed unanimously on a voice vote.


8. New Business

Proposal 17-11: “Proposal for Shelving and Eliminating Degree Programs and Certificates”

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee, Noted there was not a clearly defined mechanism to shelve or eliminate degree programs. He noted the current list of degree programs contained multiple degree programs that have not been offered for quite some time. It must be shelved prior to elimination and the shelving period must be 5 years. He noted that the CPC will bring a series of proposals to clean up degree offerings if this proposal passes.


Proposal 18-11: “Amendment to Proposal 21-01: Framework for Professional Master of Science Degrees: An Interdepartmental Professional Master of Science Degree With Specific Areas of Concentration”

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee, stated that this proposal replaces an outdated proposal regarding professional Master of Science degrees and propose that university designate professional Master’s degrees by the PSM network. He noted the naming variations and compared how other institutions use PSM. Huntoon noted the graduate school and GFC is supportive of this proposal.


Proposal 19-11: “Minor in Music Composition”

Storer, Curricular Policy Committee, introduced a new minor in music composition. He added that the financial information indicates no additional costs accompany this program and has CPC support. Herbig noted this proposal has not been discussed by the FC. Barkdoll asked if there was a major in music composition. Seel said no. Barkdoll asked what the motivation was for this proposal. Seely said student interest was driving this minor and its connection to the sound design programs. Barkdoll noted the demand. Storer said this helps our programs stand out by having this as a minor. Seely noted that there were only a few of this type of program in the country.



9. Adjournment.  Hamlin moved to adjourn; Onder seconded the motion. President Luck adjourned the meeting at 6:11pm


Respectfully submitted

by Marty Thompson

Secretary of the University Senate