Login to FARS
(Enter your ISO userid and password at login prompt)
Watch a Demo to learn more about the system
or call 7-1809.
FARS has been designed to run in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari. It is recommended that you use an up-to-date version of one of these browsers.
Welcome to the Faculty Activity Reporting System (FARS)!
a.k.a. Activity Insight by Digital Measures
Michigan Tech uses an online Faculty Activity Reporting System (FARS) (a.k.a. Activity Insight™ by Digital Measures) to collect information regarding teaching, research, and service activities of our faculty. This system is a web-based information management system designed to organize and build reports on our faculty's activities. The provost has requested that colleges/schools and departments have their faculty use this system and the hope is departments and colleges/schools will take advantage of this resource and incorporate the FARS material and links into their web sites.
A Message from the Provost
At many institutions the transition to go digital has already happened or is underway. Change is not always easy and efforts have been hampered because the technology involved does not always meet expectations. I am also very attuned to the fact that faculty time is precious and must not be wasted. Having said that, I believe we have to make the digital transition in the same way we made the transition to e-mail and to faculty preparing their own papers for publication.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Provide faculty with an easy-to-use system for recording and tracking teaching, research, and service activities.
- Faculty will only need to input their data once rather than reformatting and submitting their data when requested. It is important for faculty to update their data occasionally.
- Provide common faculty information across all schools and colleges with an array of reports generated to serve many administrative and personal purposes. It will eliminate the need to frequently ask for details about faculty accomplishments.
- Enable individual faculty-level, department-level, college-level, or institution-level reports in a matter of seconds. The procedure for creating reports is simple: log on, enter data, and generate reports.
- Help check and correct faculty information in central data systems.
- Custom reports can be developed in the system. Reports have already been created that are specific to Michigan Tech. In addition, reports can designate a specific time period (e.g., the last five years).
In addition, in the future, we will be connecting this system to our web site to offer visitors profiles of our faculty. This will allow us to better publicize our faculty's accomplishments.
If your materials are in electronic form, you may copy and paste from your file directly into FARS. You need not complete the steps in sequential order or in one session. However, it is important that you understand how FARS works so that you do not lose the information you have entered. You should view the "Demo" to familiarize yourself with the system.
Also available is a Handbook which specifies the information that can be entered into each section of FARS. We assure you that your information will be secure; click here to learn more about the security of the system.
To view a complete list of deadlines, visit Schedule of Academic Administrative Deadlines web page and click on the link for the deadline you are interested in.
A reminder that faculty are expected to have the information in FARS updated by May 31 of each year for the Faculty Vitae Updates. The reporting dates for the 2012 Faculty Vitae Update are May 1, 2012 - April 30, 2013.
Paper-copies are no longer be required to be forwarded to the Provost's office. The due date will remain the same - the end of May, this year, May 31 - but now the due date is for all faculty to have their current year activity entered into FARS. Please report any needed corrections to imported data to email@example.com by June 15. The Faculty Vitae Update report, including spring semester imports and corrections, will be available to print on June 28, 2013.
This tool is for faculty and college administrative use. The data is on a secure server hosted by Digital Measures. Faculty can only see their individual information. Departments and schools can only see the department and school information, not any other departments or school. Colleges can only see the college information, not other colleges. Administrators in the designated department/school/college can see the information for faculty in their department/school/college. At the central administrative level, the Provost and the University's Digital Measures' Administrator have access to this information.