Chapter 6. Fringe Benefits
Section 6.2 Leaves/Absences
Subsection 6.2.3 Leaves/Absences With Pay
22.214.171.124 Paid Maternity Leave
Michigan Tech recognizes the need to support employees as they balance career, childbirth, and family obligations. This document outlines parameters for a maternity leave to be applied within our current policy 126.96.36.199 Approved Absences with Pay which allows the President to approve a leave of absence with pay for specific occasions.
- Applies to employees eligible for full benefits.
- Policy is intended to provide paid time off after the birth of a baby. If medical conditions arise prior to the birth, maternity leave may be taken before the birth.
- Policy includes adoption (primary caregiver) for children under 7 years old not attending school full-time. Employee must certify that they are the primary caregiver.
- Maternity leave should be taken within 12 months from the birth of the baby.
- Leave with pay will run concurrent with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Full benefits will continue during leave of absence.
- Will receive one semester at full pay while being relieved from teaching duties for the duration of the leave of absence but continuing to perform their other duties at 50% in a research capacity including graduate student supervision.
- Can choose to be relieved of all duties while on leave of absence; however, leave of absence with pay will follow the parameters given to staff (full pay for up to 6 weeks; see below).
- Can only receive leave with pay for semesters normally paid (summer excluded).
Non-Tenure Track Faculty, Research Faculty, and Staff
- Will receive full pay for up to 6 weeks; any additional time will be without pay (employee can use earned sick/vacation time (if eligible).
- Staff may work out a part-time return to work that equates to the full 6 weeks paid. This arrangement must be approved by the employee's supervisor.
- Lecturers can choose a leave of absence for one semester at ½ pay while being relieved from all duties.
For tenured/tenure-track faculty, as far as it is possible, the commencement of a maternity leave shall coincide with the beginning of a semester. The faculty member shall submit a written request to her Department Chair (the Dean in case of schools). The chair and/or dean shall attach the memo request to a status change form (gold) and forward to the Dean and Provost as far in advance as possible but at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester during which the leave is to be taken. Professional staff shall submit written notice to their supervisor who shall then attach request to a completed status change form (gold) and forward to the Director and appropriate Executive/CFO/CIO. The completed gold form shall then be forwarded to the Benefits office for review and subsequent approval by the president.
Per 188.8.131.52, Approved Absences with Pay requires the approval of the president.
The associated cost for eligible persons on maternity leave will be covered by Michigan Tech's retirement and insurance fund.
06/13/2012 - Revised entire policy to reflect current practice.
06/21/2011 - Annual Review: To reflect current University titles and practice,
the email address for questions is now hbwebmaster.
02/09/2011 - New policy.
Copyright © 2012. Michigan Technological University
. All Rights Reserved.
Address questions to: email@example.com