Chapter 21. Public Safety
21.4. Building and Property Rules and Regulations
Building and Property Rules and Regulations: Rules and regulations to keep University properties and facilities clean and in good condition.
- Smoking is prohibited except where permitted by the administration.
- Use or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited, unless specifically approved in writing by the president, in accordance with the policy of the Board of Control on alcoholic beverages.
- Solicitation or sale on property owned or controlled by Michigan Technological University is prohibited unless authorized by the provost and senior vice president for academic and student affairs.
- Advertising of any type is not permitted in University buildings or on University grounds other than on designated bulletin boards, or as approved by the appropriate building manager.
- Student organizations registered with the office of Student Affairs may sell tickets or conduct limited sales of goods in the Union building or public areas of residence halls after receiving approval of the appropriate building manager.
- Activities or announcements of Michigan Technological University events shall have the prior written approval of the provost and senior vice president for academic and student affairs or his delegated representative, with the following exceptions:
- Announcements regarding the operation of a facility or the announcement of coming University attractions may be authorized by the manager of the facility.
- Announcements regarding traffic, health, or safety may be authorized by the Public Safety Department.
- Announcements relating to the game or event in progress may be made over the public address system by the game announcer providing such announcements are appropriate to the situation and in good taste.
- Distribution of handbills or other printed material is permitted only in designated areas.
- Placement of posters and signs is prohibited unless approved by the building manager, and then only on bulletin boards designated for such use.
- Unruly behavior will not be tolerated and may be cause for expulsion from the facility.
- For reasons of health and sanitation, cats, dogs, birds, or other pets or animals shall not be allowed in University buildings. The occupant will be fined $5.00 for each day the pet remains in University housing. Two exceptions to this are:
- Fish, birds, or animals may be housed on campus in properly constructed and operated facilities for educational or research purposes after receiving the approval of such facilities by the provost and senior vice president for academic and student affairs.
- Aquariums may be kept in University housing facilities after receiving the approval by the respective building manager.
- Bicycles shall not be brought into University buildings, ridden, stored, or parked in corridors, stairwells, laboratories, offices, classrooms, or buildings other than in those designated areas in student housing facilities.
- This policy shall be administered in accordance with rules and procedures established by the provost and senior vice president for academic and student affairs.
Chapter Table of Contents | Table of Contents | Search | MTU Home
Last Revised: 15 January 2002 - activated Search Engine
Copyright © 2001-2002. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Address questions about this page to Ann Roth at firstname.lastname@example.org.