Operating Procedures Manual
Section 2.7. Accounts Payable
220.127.116.11.2. Completing the Day Travel Expense Voucher
All travel expenses for trips which do not include an overnight stay must be reported on the Day Travel Expense Voucher. The Internal Revenue Service requires that any reimbursement for meals when there is no overnight stay is taxable income to the employee. Applicable FICA, federal, and state taxes will be withheld from a future paycheck on the amount reimbursed for meals.
Within two weeks of completion of University-related travel, the employee does the following:
- Complete a Day Travel Expense Voucher, available from Accounting Services by calling 7-2373, or from the Web site <http://www.mtu.edu/fso/forms/travel/>, with the following information:
- Name of the traveler(s)
- Identification number
- Address to which check should be sent, if applicable
- Number of pool car, if used
- Index to be charged
- Date and time of departure and return
- Names of others on trip
- Purpose of the trip
- Date(s) of travel
- Itemized accounting of travel expenses
- Total daily expenses
- If a personal vehicle was used, number of miles traveled
- Cash summary which includes any cash advances
- Signature of traveler and the date
- Signature of department chair/director or immediate supervisor and the date
- Attach all original supporting documentation and receipts. If money is owed to the University, attach a check for the appropriate amount or the cash receipt if paid directly to the Cashier's Office.
- Obtain the authorized signature for the index to be charged. All vouchers must also be approved by the department chair/director or next level of authority.
- Forward the approved Day Travel Expense Voucher with all supporting documentation and attached receipts to Accounting Services.