Operating Procedures Manual
Section 2.7. Accounts Payable
188.8.131.52. American Express Corporate Credit Card
The University has entered into an agreement with American Express Travel Related Service Company, Inc. to assist employees who frequently travel on University business in obtaining an American Express Corporate Card. This card is intended primarily for University business but may also be used for personal expenditures.
All faculty and staff members who travel or host functions on behalf of the University are eligible to apply for the American Express Corporate Card and are strongly encouraged to use the card for all travel expenditures whenever possible.
American Express is solely responsible for credit approval and issuance of the card. Nonpayment of charges may result in revocation of card privileges. Once a card has been revoked for late/nonpayment, the employee will be unable to continue to participate in the program. Late payment fees are the responsibility of the cardholder.
Card privileges will be withdrawn upon termination of employment with the University. The employee must return the card to Accounting Services before the last day of work.
To participate in the American Express Corporate Card Program, do the following:
- Request an American Express Corporate Card Application from Accounting Services by calling 7-2242, writing a memo, or stopping by in person.
- Complete the application and return it to Accounting Services with a memo signed by the department chair/director authorizing the employee to apply for the corporate card.
NOTE: Accounting Services personnel will forward the application to American Express for review and approval. The card should be received from American Express in about four weeks.
As a holder of an American Express Corporate Card, do the following:
- Charge University-related travel expenses (meals, lodging, transportation, etc.) on the American Express Corporate Card.
- File for reimbursement of University-related travel expenses on a travel expense voucher (refer to Expenses Reporting Section).
- Receive a monthly bill from American Express.
- Promptly pay all charges directly to American Express.
NOTE: Any discrepancies on American Express billing should be resolved by the cardholder.