Operating Procedures Manual

Chapter 2. Accounting Services
Section 2.7. Accounts Payable
<< previous  |  next >> Travel Advances


Travel Advance: A loan or a cash advance that is an authorized payment of money (check) by the University, directly to an individual or third party in support of anticipated travel expenses for University business.


Travel advances are considered a loan which is repaid by completing a Travel Expense Voucher. Employees holding an American Express Corporate Card are discouraged from requesting cash advances. Any unused portions must be returned to the University via the Cashier's Office. Requests for such advances are to be made on a Request for Advance of Funds form approved by a department chair/director, at a minimum, or the next higher level of authority. Employees may not approve a Request for Advance of Funds for themselves. The president must preapprove funds being requested for travel outside the United States or Canada (see International Travel) and a copy of this written approval must be attached to the Request for Advance of Funds.

A travel advance to or on behalf of a non-University individual will only be issued upon the specific written preapproval of the appropriate vice president/ provost which is to be attached to the Request for Advance of Funds form. The Request for Advance of Funds form is to be signed by an employee of the University who will be held responsible for proper accounting.

If the Request for Advance of Funds is received in Accounting Services prior to 9:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, and the trip is scheduled to start within 48 hours, a check will be issued that same day. Checks will not normally be issued more than four (4) working days preceding the start date of a trip. If an emergency exists and funds are needed immediately, the employee may hand-carry the approved form to Accounting Services, have it reviewed and, if approved, receive cash from the Cashier's Office for the amount requested.


To obtain an advance, do the following:

  1. Complete a Request for Advance of Funds, available from Accounting Services by calling 7-2373 or from the Web site <http:// http://www.mtu.edu/fso/financial/travel/>, with the following information:

    1. Traveler's name, identification number, and department.

    2. Amount requested.

    3. If the request is for an airline ticket, indicate the travel agency in which the airline ticket was charged.

    4. NOTE: Airline tickets ordered from Goodman Travel or Peninsula Travel will be mailed to the department by Accounting Services, via campus mail, unless otherwise requested.

    5. Destination and purpose of the trip.

    6. Dates of departure and return.

    7. University index which will fund the travel expenses. Charges will be made when the travel expense voucher is processed upon completion of travel.

    8. Indicate whether the check should be held for pickup in Accounting Services or sent to the department.

    9. NOTE: If using a Web form, print out the form prior to getting the appropriate signatures. Once the signatures are obtained, make a copy for departmental records, and forward the original to Accounting Services.

    10. Signature of the traveler.

    11. Signature of the requestor's supervisor with department chair/director at a minimum.

  2. Forward the white and yellow copies to Accounting Services.

  3. Retain the pink copy for departmental records.

  4. Report any cash advances on a Travel Expense Voucher upon completion of travel.
  5. NOTE: Advances are considered to be loans to persons to/for whom issued, regardless of form (check, cash, airline ticket, prepayment fee, etc.); disposition of advances must be accounted for on a timely basis via the submission of a Travel Expense Voucher and the prompt return of any unused monies.

Adopted: 11/13/2001
<< previous  | top  |  next >>