Chapter 10. Information Technology
Section 10.7. Telecommunication Services
The following policies are intended to insure the Universitys compliance with the National Electrical Code (NEC) and OSHA requirements. They also insure the reliability of the telecommunications physical plant.
- Modification of building cabling systems by any person or department outside of Telecommunications Services is prohibited. This includes pulling wire through walls, conduits, and ceilings. In addition, wiring may not be run out doorways or across floors.
- Resetting, powering off, or tampering with Telecommunications Services equipment is prohibited.
- Telecommunications cables must be obtained from Telecommunications Services or meet Telecommunications Engineering specifications.
Any exception to these policies must be approved by Telecommunications Engineering.
To request network cabling, do the following:
- Contact the department systems administrator. The systems administrator will complete a Service Request form, available from the Web site <http://www.tc.mtu.edu/cs/forms/netreq.html> or send an e-mail request to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Provide the systems administrator with the following information:
- Requester's name, phone number, and e-mail address
- Contact name, phone number, and department name (if different than requester)
- Valid University index number to be charged for the cabling
- Service recipient
- Location(s): Building name and room number
Chapter Table of Contents | Table of Contents | Search | MTU Home
Last Revised: 24 January 2002 - live on Web
Copyright © 2002. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Address questions to: email@example.com.