Goal 5: Attract, retain, support, and develop excellent staff.
- Attract, retain, motivate, and develop outstanding administrative and support staff with competitive salaries and benefits.
- Provide on-going opportunities for professional development, training, and continuing education.
- Use periodic reviews and individualized development plans to foster employee growth and development.
- Provide an environment which is friendly, safe, and nurturing for all constituents.
- Increase diversity of staff with emphasis on recruitment and retention of women and ethnic minorities.
- Encourage participation in staff shared governance.
- Add staff commensurate with growth in faculty and research.
- Explore the possibility of promotional ladders for staff.
Goal 6: Provide Comprehensive Information Services.
Subgoal 1: Develop a library appropriate to a research university.
- Evaluate and enhance library acquisitions.
- Address space deficit with short- and long-term solutions.
- Develop endowments for specific library collections.
- Increase access to information through interlibrary cooperation, automation, and electronic delivery programs.
Subgoal 2: Sustain a computing and telecommunications infrastructure appropriate to a research university.
- Develop and implement a long range plan for telecommunications and computing.
- Enhance capability to deliver distance education programming.
- Continue to modernize the telecommunications infrastructure.
- Continue improvement and enhancement of electronic information systems for effective management.
- Provide user education for the university community.
- Enhance capability to deliver integrated computing and educational technologies.
- Improve coordination, training, professional development, and back-up for systems administrators.
Goal 7: Develop the MTU Campus and Continuously Maintain the Physical Plant.
- Maintain a physical plant which is safe, efficient, attractive, and accessible.
- Periodically review and update the campus master plan.
- Build and occupy the Dow Environmental Sciences and Engineering Building.
- Renovate vacated space created by moves to the Dow Building.
- Expand the U. J. Noblet Forestry Building.
- Build and occupy the performing arts center.
- Plan and obtain external funding for a new science building and library addition.
- Catalog and prioritize additional space needs.
- Update teaching laboratories, research equipment, and classroom equipment.
- Strengthen and expand our activities directed at improving campus environmental safety and regulations compliance.
- Establish multi-year maintenance and renewal budget.
Goal 8: Provide a Stable Financial Environment and Enhance Resource Acquisition.
- Enhance the planning and budgeting cycle based on a continual process of assessment and development.
- Secure state allocations that enable the university to pay competitive salaries and that provide an appropriate funding base for the university's programs.
- Increase public and private funding to provide merit- and need-based support for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Strive for more rapid growth in funds from sources such as research grants and contracts, private fund raising, distance education, summer programming, retail operations, etc.
- Increase student tuition and fees at modest rates that will assure continued access.
- Improve operating methods and programs to achieve maximum efficiency and economy in managing university resources.
- Enhance alumni and constituent relations.
- Develop a plan for systematically addressing financial exigency/retrenchment issues.
- Develop a five-year budget plan.
Last Revised: 12 DECEMBER 1997
© 1997. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Send comments and questions about this page to email@example.com.