Goal 2: Attract and Retain, Support and Develop Excellent Faculty.
Subgoal 1: Attract quality faculty.
- Recruit top faculty by offering competitive salaries, benefits, and other enticements.
- Develop effective strategies for identifying prospective faculty, inducing them to apply for positions, and interviewing them for teaching, research, and service roles.
- Increase the number of women and under-represented minority faculty and develop strategies to encourage their success.
- Enhance the availability, from all sources, of start-up funding for new faculty.
- Develop proactive approach to improving and increasing candidate pools.
- Review and evaluate various approaches to spousal accommodation, family assistance, child care and other avenues for making the university attractive to prospective employees.
- Increase the number of endowed professorships and chairs.
Subgoal 2:Retain and nurture faculty.
- Increase faculty salaries to be competitive nationally.
- Involve the faculty fully in the governance of the university.
- Enhance methods for evaluating, improving, and rewarding quality instruction.
- Increase and support mentoring of junior faculty by senior faculty.
- Expand the definition of teaching to include advising and other contacts with students outside the classroom, as well as scholarship on pedagogical topics.
- Define public service and reward it appropriately.
- Provide guidance to and support professional development for faculty, recognizing their different needs at different stages of their careers.
- Enhance departmental infrastructure and support structure.
- Educate the Universitys publics with regard to the roles and duties of university faculty.
- Enhance development opportunities for department chairs.
- Develop and implement a standard post-tenure planning, evaluation, and feedback process.
- Improve departmental processes for allocating faculty teaching loads.
- Recognize and reward effective teaching.
Goal 3: Strengthen and Develop Graduate Programs.
Subgoal 1: Enhance graduate student enrollments, and recruit high quality graduate students.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to recruit quality and diverse graduate students.
- Develop and implement programs to assure successful and timely completion of graduate programs.
- Cultivate additional funding, both internal and external, for the further enhancement and growth of graduate programs.
- Assure the competitiveness of internally funded assistantships.
Subgoal 2: Strengthen the Graduate Program.
- Continuously evaluate, improve, and support graduate programs to ensure quality and relevance through the implementation of systematic internal and external program review processes, as well as through student outcomes assessment.
- Review and enhance programs that train teaching assistants in effective instructional approaches.
- Develop a University-wide graduate student orientation program.
- Enhance facilities and academic infrastructure commensurate with the growth of graduate programs.
- Encourage interdisciplinary research among doctoral students.
- Enhance student opportunities in international research, scholarship, and development.
Subgoal 3: Provide an environment that enhances the quality of graduate student life.
- Develop and implement programs to address deficiencies in areas such as office space, information services, and benefits.
- Improve the climate for women and underrepresented minority graduate students.
- Encourage professional development opportunities as well as social-political-cultural involvement.
- Provide a quality living environment for on-campus students.
Goal 4: Enhance and Expand Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity within the University.
Subgoal 1: Increase external funding in support of research activities.
- Enhance efforts in all areas and at all levels to increase the numbers of successful proposals for research support.
- Assure that submitted grants and contracts seek sufficient support for all direct and indirect costs of a research program.
- Continue to develop research ties with industries, government, and other educational institutions.
- Clarify and enhance the role of technology transfer and intellectual properties.
- Define roles and expectations for all research centers and research institutes.
Subgoal 2: Encourage interdisciplinary scholarship and research.
- Enhance development of the emphasis areas of materials science and engineering and environmental sciences and engineering.
- Select, through normal planning processes, other interdisciplinary and multi-disciplinary areas for targeted emphasis in research and scholarship, and identify significant additional resources for those areas.
- Encourage the development of larger scale research programs, including interdisciplinary and team efforts.
- Remove barriers to interdisciplinary activities.
Last Revised: 12 DECEMBER 1997
© 1997. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Send comments and questions about this page to email@example.com.