University Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Sustain and Enhance the Quality of Undergraduate Programs.
Subgoal 1: Continuous improvements of undergraduate education.
- Continuously evaluate, improve, and support undergraduate programs to ensure quality and relevance. Continue to develop MTUs program for Assessment of Student Academic Success, and implement a process for periodic program review.
- Establish high standards of literacy, including competence in such areas as computers, problem-solving, social awareness and responsibility, and critical thinking.
- Become a national leader in engineering undergraduate education.
- Build consensus around a specific set of goals for the core curriculum, including both baccalaureate level skills and breadth of knowledge and understanding. Plan and implement a revised core curriculum consistent with this consensus, and establish a process for its continuous evaluation and renewal.
- Develop programs for first-year students that support successful transitions to university level education.
- Increase the rate of degree completion through improved counseling, mentoring in effective learning strategies, advising, and course scheduling.
- Incorporate total quality concepts into the undergraduate program.
- Increase rates of student persistence using strategies identified by the Retention Task Force.
- Continue to develop and improve student-centered learning environments that increase learning without increasing net cost.
- Enhance evaluation, improvement, recognition, and rewards to encourage excellence in teaching.
- Encourage and support faculty use of instructional technologies that improve student academic success with modest increases in cost.
- Revise the University academic calendar to better support student academic success, and better utilize University resources.
- Continue to plan, test, and evaluate innovative approaches to teaching and learning based both on the experiences of colleagues elsewhere and novel approaches developed at MTU.
- Strengthen and improve the General Education Program.
- Increase the number of students who take advantage of off-campus broadening opportunities in international study, cooperative education, and internships.
- Offer undergraduates the opportunity to engage in research and/or interact with industry.
- Develop a curriculum which encourages life-long learning.
- Develop student communication skills.
- Incorporate global perspectives--including those of women, minorities, and non-Western peoples--in curricula and other programs.
- Foster the development of interdisciplinary courses and curricula that go beyond arbitrary divisions between disciplines.
- Epitomize excellence in undergraduate education at a reasonable cost.
- Obtain external funding in support of undergraduate programs.
Subgoal 2: Assure the recruitment and retention of a high quality, diverse student body.
- Continue to develop effective recruitment strategies, with special emphasis on recruiting women and minorities.
- Maintain selective admissions standards to assure the excellence of entering students.
- Improve recruitment of international students.
- Develop student and alumni networks to aid in recruiting.
- Encourage the involvement of faculty in recruiting.
- Develop a unified marketing strategy.
- Develop partnerships with other institutions, especially those which are likely to be the source of students, faculty, and staff from under-represented groups.
- Offer quality student placement services to enhance graduates professional and career opportunities.
- Continue to improve access to Michigan Tech through timely competitive financial aid packages.
- Develop comprehensive, unified retention programs, which include special efforts for new students, international students, and minority students.
- Enhance the universitys ability to track and monitor students academic progress, with intervention procedures for at-risk students.
- Enhance faculty mentoring skills in order to improve minority and women graduation rates.
- Recruit students whose academic interests enhance intellectual diversity.
Subgoal 3: Provide an environment that enhances the quality of student life.
- Create and sustain an atmosphere of civility on campus.
- Provide a quality living environment for on-campus students.
- Encourage a quality undergraduate experience outside the classroom, including opportunities to develop leadership skills and social-political-cultural involvements.
- Design and implement leadership development activities in the residence halls and the Greek system.
- Communicate opportunities for involvement to new students, especially through orientation.
- Integrate programming in living units with the academic curriculum.
- Continue aggressively to develop programs to prevent alcohol and substance abuse.
- Provide increased opportunities for faculty and students to interact.
- Improve advising of student organizations.
- Assure that needed services are available for disabled and non-traditional students.
- Provide meaningful employment for student workers.
- Strive for national recognition from our Division I hockey program and state and national recognition for our Division II programs.
Last Revised: 12 DECEMBER 1997
© 1997. Michigan Technological University. All Rights Reserved.
Send comments and questions about this page to firstname.lastname@example.org.