Federal Tax Information
Nonresidents who are required to file a tax return should file the following Income Tax Returns:
Michigan Tech has software available to assist Nonresidents with their FEDERAL tax returns.
- Michigan Tech user ID and ISO Password are required to access GLACIER.
- Any questions while preparing return in GLACIER need to be addressed to the GLACIER administrators: email@example.com
- No e-filing of tax return. Must print and mail.
- Forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ are due by April 15
- Form 8843 needs to be filed by the due date of Forms 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ – April 15
- If filing both a 1040 and 8843 – attach 8843 to 1040
- Attach federal copies of Form W-2 and 1042-S to tax return
- It is advisable to make a photocopy of tax returns before mailing
- Married students may not file a joint return. Each individual needs to file separately.
- Nonresidents are not allowed child/dependent care or earned income credits
- Most students are eligible to file Form 1040-NR-EZ
- If from India, Canada, Mexico, or South Korea - may need to fill out Form 1040NR if dependent exemptions are allowed
Summary of how to complete federal tax return
Michigan Tax Information
- There are no specific forms for nonresident individuals
- The State of Michigan also honors tax treaties
- It is advisable to make a photocopy of tax return before mailing
- Attach Schedule W-Withholding Tax Schedule instead of state copy of W-2
- Attach Form 1042-S to return, if applicable
- If income is received from more than one state – it may be necessary to file separate state tax returns and/or Michigan NR form
- The deadline to file is April 15
- GLACIER software does not prepare state returns
Summary of how to complete Michigan tax return
The following firms/individuals specialize in preparing tax returns and are tax professionals. They can prepare your tax return, but they will charge you a fee for this service. Please contact them if you have questions regarding their fees or services.
Rukkila, Negro & Associates, Certified Public Accountants, PC
310 Shelden Avenue (in downtown Houghton)
Houghton, MI 49931
West M-26 (1 mile past Walmart)
Houghton, MI 49931